Green's New Novelty Orchestra
Green's New Novelty Orchestra is a direct musical link to the past. In keeping a family tradition alive, Lew and Mary Green set out to perform some of the classics that were recorded by the famous Green Brothers bands in the 1920s and '30s. Today, Green's New Novelty Orchestra uses a standard eight-piece group, adding other instrumentation such as violin as arrangements require. Lew Green Jr. on cornet and Mary Green on piano are joined by Ian Finkel on xylophone as the core group, supported by clarinet/saxophone, trombone, banjo/guitar, string bass, tuba, bass saxophone, and drums. Green's New Novelty Orchestra has appeared in concert in the New York area, performed at private events, recorded at the Edison National Historic Site in West Orange, New Jersey. This CD represents a wide variety of music, and it is musically where Green's New Novelty Orchestra wants to be. Just like the original Green's Novelty Band, Green's New Novelty Orchestra presents everything from ragtime to popular tunes and virtuoso features to Latin specialties. Green's New Novelty Orchestra was created in 1990 after Lew and Mary Green, performers of early jazz and ragtime revisited a trunk of Green family scrapbooks and arrangements. The contents of the trunk revealed an in-depth musical history going back to the 1880s in Omaha, Nebraska where George Green Sr. became the cornet-playing leader of the 7th Ward Silver Cornet Band. He assumed the position from his violin playing father, Joseph C. Green. George's sons, George Hamilton Green (b.1893, d.1970) and Joe Green (b.1892, d.1939), accepted the family musical influence and as young boys performed with George Green's Band.